Did you know you can automatically send an SMS to your clients reminding them of their appointments? You can start doing it in just 10 minutes connecting Zapier with Octopush and your Google Calendar with no added cost.
Zapier connects applications and moves information between them to automate work. In this case, we’ll see how to set up a Zap (connection) that will connect your Google Calendar appointments to send automatic SMS reminders to your invitees 1 day before the event starts.
Start reminding your clients now and never miss another appointment!
How to send automatic SMS appointment reminders
Create your Octopush account
- Go to https://octopush.com
- Click on Sign Up and enter your email, phone number and tick on the captcha.
- You’ll receive a confirmation email. Go to your emaill account and click on the button to Validate your registration.
- In your Octopush account, go to Home and enter your Account Information. Fill in the fields and accept all the contracts that you’ll find in the form. Then click Save.
- From Home, click on Validate phone line. Check that the number is correct and click on the checkbox to certify you’re the owner of the phone line. Click on Validate my phone line.
- You’ll receive a SMS with a verification code in your phone. Enter that number in your Octopush account and click on Validate my phone line.
- Now you’re ready to set up your first campaign with your FREE SMS.
Create your Zapier account
- Go to https://zapier.com
- Click on Sign Up and enter your email and password to create your account.
Create a Zap between your Google Calendar and your Octopush account to send automated SMS to your clients 1 day before their scheduled appointments.
- Log In to your Zapier account in https://zapier.com/
- Create your workflow selecting Google Calendar and Octopush SMS
- Then select the actions you want Zapier to trigger: when Event Starts, then send New SMS
- Let’s configure the Event Start part.
- Log in to the Google Account (where you have the Google Calendar you wish to connect) and allow access to Zapier. Click on Continue
- In Customize Event, select the Calendar you wish to connect (this is the calendar in which you schedule your appointments), and set how much time before you wish to send your SMS reminders.
- Click on Continue.Note: after this, you’ll be offered to select an event from your calendar to test the zap in the end. Choose the Test Event to try out the Zap later, or Skip Test).
- Now Let’s configure the New SMS part.
- Press Sign In to your Octopush account to allow Zapier access with your Login and API Key. You’ll find this information in your Octopush account menu> API & Plugins> Identifiants API. Copy the Login Email and the API on Zapier screen and click Yes, continue.
- To Customize SMS that our client’s will receive, we have to indicate:
- SMS Recipient: where can Zapier take the cellphone number of your customer from Google Calendar. We’ll select Description, and we’ll make sure to always fill in that field when we schedule an appointment (in the correct format, like this: +33758341677)
- SMS Text : here we’ll write the message we’ll send our clients. We can choose to include specific information to personalize our message, like name of the customer or specific date and hour they have their appointment, by adding tags from the drop down menu on the right. (Note that these all change according to the specific information we write down on every appointment we schedule on our calendar).
- Sender ID : add the name of the sender so that your client can identify you.
- Click on Continue. (Check the Hint at the end of this post to test your Zap).
- Click on Done Editing and after that Turn your Zap On. Octopush will start sending SMS to your clients to remind them of their appointments.
Before you go to Done Editing in step 6, you’ll be offered to Test the Zap by sending a test SMS with the information from the Test event we mentioned on Step 4.3. Here’s how it should look like.
Here’s how the SMS will look like to your clients: